Media Blog Reflection

My media consumption throughout the school year has been relatively large however in the past few weeks as school has been winding down and we have been getting less homework, it has significantly increased. From the morning to mid afternoon, I do not consume a lot of media because I'm usually at school and I don't get up early enough to go on my phone in the morning. However, after school I usually use media to relax. In the middle of the school year I would only consume around 2-3 hours of media because I was busy with school, sports, and homework. Now, sports are over and the only homework we have is to study. So, my media consumption has significantly increased to probably around 4-5 hours a day. The increase in media consumption really hasn't significantly done anything besides keep me up later at night. It has completely ruined my sleeping cycle. To compensate for going to bed late at night, I often have to take really long naps after school. Media is often addicting and it takes a lot of will power to break away from it.
Image result for media literacy
Being aware of media and advertising techniques has helped me recognize a few things in media however I am not that exposed to advertising. Watching shows on TV has really taken the backseat while Netflix has replaced it as my main consumption of shows. There are still times when I watch TV such as for sports game, but I often tape the games so that I can fast forward through the commercials. Especially with the NBA finals and the Women's World Cup, I have definitely been aware of the different commercial techniques, however it seems that it will take a lot more practice and exposure for me to analyze advertisements with a more critical eye. My entire life I have gone along with the advertising techniques so I think it will be difficult to break that cycle.

I think it is important to break this cycle though and have better media literacy. Knowing what techniques companies use to gain consumers is important so that I don't fall for them. Also understanding the pattern of advertisements and how they portray certain stereotypes is important. By acknowledging their existence, we can avoid using these stereotypes in our everyday lives. Having a new generation that grows up experiencing media that portrays stereotypical people will continue the cycle of having stereotypical media. To break the cycle we need a generation that can recognize that these advertisements are often degrading or generally wrong in many ways. Having media that is more diverse will benefit everyone.

By keeping this journal/blog I am able to use my media literacy to analyze different types of media. The journal allows me to analyze everyday things that I see in the media. It is also interesting to see what other people have to say about my blogs and if they agree or if they have other things to add on to the conversation. Reading classmates blogs is interesting to see what they have chosen to write about and how they view media around them. Overall, this has given me a better perspective on the media that surrounds me especially since it is so prominent in everyone's lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Representation: Women in Politics

Matthew Boling breaks the 100 meter-dash high school record

End Game Spoilers?